Aubrey B. Harwell Jr. focuses his practice on major commercial litigation, white-collar criminal defense and crisis management. Through the years he has been involved in many cases receiving national attention. He has been counsel for numerous public officials including judges, governors, congressmen, state senators, mayors and state attorneys general. For the last several years, he has represented Pilot Flying J, the sixth largest private company in the country, regarding a myriad of issues arising out of the execution of a search warrant on the corporate offices in Knoxville, Tennessee by approximately 100 Federal agents in April 2013.
He represented former San Francisco 49'ers owner, Eddie DeBartolo, in numerous matters, including a completed federal criminal case involving former Governor Edwin Edwards of Louisiana, and in regard to a Presidential Pardon.
Mr. Harwell has tried dozens of major cases across the country for substantial clients including, Pfizer, Ford Motor Company, General Motors Company, Bridgestone Americas, Rheem Manufacturing Company, CNA Insurance Company, and others. He was named Trial Lawyer of the Year by the Southeastern Chapter of the American Board of Trial Advocates. He has received the General Counsel Award from Bridgestone, Lifetime Achievement, Best of the Bar Award, and numerous other awards and recognitions. Mr. Harwell is a Senior Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America, The Trial Lawyer Honorary Society.
Mr. Harwell serves on the Board of Ingram Industries, the Advisory Board of FCA Venture Capital Funds, is a former board member of Piedmont Natural Gas, and holds the Chair of Excellence in Free Enterprise in the Jones College of Business at Middle Tennessee State University. He serves as the Chair of the Board of Trustees for the Nashville School of Law and is involved in numerous other nonprofits.
Mr. Harwell has authored or co-authored several legal publications and is a frequent speaker at seminars and symposiums throughout the United States.
Professional & Civic Affiliations
- American Board of Trial Advocates – Member & National Board Member
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Tennessee Chapter – Member & Past President
- Sixth Circuit Judicial Conference – Life Member
- Litigation Counsel of America, The Trial Lawyer Honorary Society – Senior Fellow
- American Bar Association – Member
- Tennessee Bar Association – Member
- Nashville Bar Association – Member & Past President
- Nashville Bar Foundation – Fellow
- Tennessee Bar Foundation – Fellow
- Community Foundation of Middle Tennessee – Member & Past Chairman, Board of Trustees
- Vanderbilt University Children’s Hospital – Member & Past Chairman, Board of Trustees
- Meharry Medical College – Member & Chairman, Board of Trustees
- Nashville School of Law – Member & Vice Chairman, Board of Trustees
- Boy Scouts of America, National Council – Treasurer & Executive Board Member
- Middle Tennessee Council, Boy Scouts of America – Member, Past President & Past Chairman, Executive Board
- Vanderbilt University Medical Center – Member, Board of Trustees
- Easter Seals Society of Tennessee – Member & Past Chairman, Board of Trustees
- Tennessee Performing Arts Center – Member & Past Chairman, Board of Trustees
- The Frist Center for the Visual Arts – Member, Board of Trustees
- Music City Bowl – Member & Past Chairman, Board of Directors
- Vanderbilt University Law School
- Vanderbilt University